Thursday 11 April 2013

Apple Control

I'm sat here flicking through my usual morning trawl of various websites, I normally start at BBC News, pop to a couple of Newcastle United ones, maybe a cheeky peek at Flickr and technology ones but I always seem to end with a peruse through the latest updates on macrumors.com.

One of the articles made me wonder whether Apple are getting a bit too big for their boots and believing their own hype! The story I read was one about Apple banning an app called AppGratis from the the App Store - the app basically finds good deals, promotions etc for other apps however Apple have decided they don't like how it's done and so they have killed the app! As with any iPhone user the apps available to me are those which are tightly controlled by Apple, instead of being able to find an app that does what I want, I'm instead limited to one that Apple will let me have! They claim that it's to protect the iPhone and maintain the experience but I think this is becoming a problem! I used to enjoy each week waiting for the time when the App Store was refreshed with all the new apps by Apple but however I often look through and am disappointed! I suspect that there are lots of developers out there with some amazing ideas for apps which will significantly enhance the iPhone user experience but are instead being blocked by the very tight control Apple has around the App Store! I wonder what would happen if Apple loosened their grip but still kept a close eye on the security element!?

No comments: