Sunday 4 November 2012

Gaming

I'm pretty sure that now I've reached the age of 37 I should slowly be growing out of playing games on XBox and instead listening to Classic FM and worrying about really dull things - but it's quite the opposite. I've always played a lot of 'computer games', starting back with Zorgons Revenge on the Oric 1 through Manic Miner, Spy Hunter, Midwinter, Elite, Championship Manager, Football Manager, Grand Theft Auto and numerous others right up to the more current Call of Duty series. There's something I love about playing them which I suppose could be counted as a hobby - a not a very productive one thought!

With the rapid developments in technology over recent years it's become more that just the game itself, there's now all of the add ons which create a wider experience.With my current game of choice Modern Warfare 3 I played the campaign version, finished it and moved straight to the online multiplayer. Moving to the online version then introduces contact with complete strangers who although I very very rarely chat with I enjoy listening to. Then there's the social media element and primarily YouTube, it opens it up so that everybody can then share what they think are awesome game plays and why they are so great - a lot of it is just a big willy waving contest. I would love to know how many MOAB videos there are on there! Amongst the videos of 14 years old squeaking at each other there are a few people who produce not just game play videos but also vlogs, commentaries etc. People like TMartn, Hutch, WoodysGamerTag, Syndicate all compile and publish videos about not just the gaming industry but also their lives and the way they see things - all of which I have come across on the back of a computer game, there's then the professional players who although they use game play add voice overs of opinions etc, people like Nadeshot, Scumpii.

Overall the gaming industry is something which is growing massively with the advent of technology and the fact that people can make a good living at it really interests me - good luck to them though!

No comments: